Sunday, September 6, 2009

First Show Jitters


I have a friend who is preparing to enter her first big juried art and craft show. It reminded me of my first juried show. I was really nervous because I had to send in pictures of my work. What if they didn't like them. I didn't even know how to attach a picture to an e-mail. It took me forever to send them because I had to send eight and I could only attach two to an e-mail. I didn't know about reducing the pixels so they would send easier.

I had no idea how to set up a booth and no equipment to do it with. I made stands out of old but free plumbing parts in the shape of crosses. I thought it was an appropriate display. I ran out to the discount fabric store and bought fabric from the bargain bin to make table drapes. I frantically started making tags, business cards and signs with the help of my baby sister, I call her Saint Michelle. Somehow, I pulled things together and went to the show with 36 pieces to sell. Needless to say, many people there had hundreds of pieces, but I was the only rosary maker there. I was breathless and so excited when I sold my first piece. I was delighted that I made a small profit. Most of all, I had a great time meeting people and talking about rosaries. I met the local Sheriff at that show and she bought a rosary. It was a great experience and I was ready to do my next one.

It has been years and I still enjoy seeing the people I met at that show and the others that followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment